I would like to dedicate The Rose to my little sister, Christine. While I had the idea to do this pipe in my head she wrote a fairy tale for my birthday about a pipe maker who has to go on a quest to rescue a maiden. He would carve pipes for the people he met to look like the flowers he saw along his way (I will look into posting the story or a link).
This was a wonderfully fun pipe to make. I spent a lot of time hand carving and hand sanding on top of the time I spent with the flex shaft engraver my wife gave me for my birthday. I am excited to finally complete it as I have been working on it in spurts for over a month. The Rose is my first completed Churchwarden. I spent a lot of time on the stain trying to get the green to be more green and less blue and I would consider myself to have been successful.
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Monday, March 28, 2011
The Wizard's Bag is a variation on The Whale. The primary difference is on the rim around bowl. I like both in different ways. I enjoy the distressed look of The Whale but the smooth concave surface is also satisfying. The variation of stains on different surfaces seems to be becoming a fixture to many of my pipes but I am not entirely sure I like it as much as I use it. All in all this was a fantastically fun pipe to make. I enjoyed reworking The Whale's shape. Notice also the modified ball and ring freehand pipe stem and look for more variation in the stems as time goes on.
Hopefully I will finish my first Churchwarden pipe sometime this week. I'm also playing around with techniques for inlaying silver wire. I'll post the results soon.
Monday, March 14, 2011
Monday, March 7, 2011
I received this block as a ebauchon briar but as I started working it I discovered it was actually a small Plateaux Briar. A while back a friend asked me if I could make a pipe with a square bowl. Taking that as a challenge and trying to get as much of the splendid straight grains as possible the square shape began to form. This was not a quick pipe as I had to use a file for a lot of forming around the stem.
Tuesday, March 1, 2011
This pipe was a challenge to make a pipe a little faster. By working furiously I got it done in just over three hours. One huge time saving feature is the distress at the bend. That allowed me to forgo a lot of hand sanding in that area. My wife, Kate, has told me a number of times, "I like it, except for the distress." This would probably make a good starter pipe.