Monday, November 14, 2011

The Shofar

The Shofar is the next in the line of horn tobacco pipes (not because it is made of horn, but just made to resemble a horn in some manner) and it came out amazingly well. I freehanded the twist on my spindle sander and used various tools to add the wavy edge which is smooth but contoured. I left the briar it's natural color and finished it with a buffed carnauba wax. 

I was first inspired to create The Shofar shortly after it was announced that Archbishop Charles Chaput was going to be moved to Philadelphia. I have had many opportunities to know him and have looked on him with much admiration throughout his time in Denver. While the shofar was used in Jewish religious ceremonies to mark joyous feasts including the announcing of a Jubilee Year and other holidays, I carved it as a reminder of a great religious Leader and spiritual father. 




No comments:

Post a Comment